Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Joy of Watching it Grow

OK, so it isn't really a "crop"in the common sense of the word.  It is a flat of lettuce plants -- a dozen or so plants -- growing quietly in the greenhouse.  Thus far they are the only edible housed there, though I have additional seeds ready to start -- spinach, arugula, and another lettuce or two.  It is, to be sure, an experiment this time of year.  Will the greenhouse protect them?  Will there be adequate light?  How much extra heat will I need to provide?  Will I be able to get the door open once the snow begins to drift?  As for that latter, it could well be that the experiment has ended long before that time.  But I'm hopeful. 

We are harvesting rainwater down-spouted from the roof of the barn, and just today I filled containers with 15 gallons already collected and set them in waiting inside the greenhouse.  I am planning for vegetative thirstiness, after all -- snow or no snow -- and so far the evidence is promising.  It looks healthy, don't you think? 

Before long we will be debating the relative merits of cream-based dressing or vinegar and oil.  Or just awe-filled moments watching it grow.

No comments: