Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Nourishment of Neighbors

A few preliminary steps remain. There is a little more trenching to be done, but that laborious work is almost done. There is a critter fence to erect -- this is, after all, the "country" where rabbits, raccoons, skunks, coyotes and deer roam freely. And, of course, there is the actual planting -- seeds to sow and seedlings to transplant so that they can join in the adventure alongside the garlic, asparagus and two varieties of potatoes already under way. But first there is the manure. Ah, yes, the manure. Who knew -- certainly not me -- that I would find myself spending so much time thinking about manure? What kind to use (Horse? Cow? Chicken? Hog? Or even human?)? Where to get it? How to use it? How much do I use? How often to apply it? What kind of soap to use after handling? All very complicated questions. Shortly after our relocation I connected with a horse family who volunteered a pickup truck load. Horse manure, I had been told, was the most desirable. So, I took this generosity as a validating sign. Mentally checking that detail off my list I proceeded with getting unpacked, settling in, tackling winter from a different angle, ordering seeds and living on different terms. Days stretched into weeks which seeped out into months. Spring arrived, garden projects resumed; I put my head down and got to work. As the day of planting crossed over the horizon into view and began to draw nearer, a nagging question began to scratch at my sleep. "What about that manure?" The horse manure was still "on the table," so to speak; but suddenly an further thought came into view...or earshot. "What about the alpacas?" Our neighbor to the east raises alpacas. There are 30 of them meandering gracefully around the enclosures next door. Meandering, growing wool, eating and, presumably, pooping. I wonder what my neighbor does with it all, and I wonder if it is any good? As for the latter, the internet is a wonderful thing. It turns out that numerous articles confirm the relative value of my neighbor's resource. Though lower in organic content than other varieties, it is nonetheless considered a rich soil conditioner with a fair amount of nitrogen and potassium and about average levels of phosphorous. Moreover, because it is less "hot" than other manures, it is among the few -- if not the only -- that can be applied directly without a prior year's composting. In other words, "good stuff." As for the former, I called and asked. "Mostly I throw it in the ditch," he responded. "Why? Do you need some?" Indeed. I haven't quite figured out the conveyance. Perhaps I'll just push my wheelbarrow next door -- any number of times. One way or another, however, I will take advantage of the providential proximity. And, I trust, grow.

No comments: